Haiti cholera deaths reach 330By IANS
Saturday, October 30, 2010
Port-au-Prince (Haiti), Oct 30 (IANS/EFE) The number of deaths from a cholera outbreak in Haiti has reached 330, an official said.
Though the illness continues to spread, steps taken to contain it are beginning to bear fruit, said Gabriel Timothee, director-general of the health ministry.
Of the current 4,714 suspected cholera cases, only 81 patients have undergone tests, Timothee said, adding that 34 of those patients tested positive for the illness.
Twenty-six of the confirmed cases were residents of the Artibonite Valley, the epicentre of the outbreak.
The international community has provided “massive” humanitarian assistance since the outbreak was detected last week, Timothee said.
Fear of cholera has prompted Haitians to stop buying things from street vendors and to avoid seafood and vegetables.