Old ’silver’ dental fillings not as toxic as previously thought

Thursday, January 28, 2010

WASHINGTON - Old ’silver’ dental fillings, also called amalgams, may not be as toxic as many people fear, according to a new study.

The study that examined the surface chemistry of silver-coloured, mercury-based dental fillings suggests that the surface forms of mercury may be less toxic than previously thought.

In the study, Graham George and colleagues note that mercury-based fillings have been used by dentists to repair teeth for well-over a century.

In recent decades their use has become controversial because of concerns about exposure to potentially toxic mercury.

However, mercury can potentially exist in several different chemical forms, each with a different toxicity.

Prior to this report, little was known about how the chemical forms of mercury in dental amalgam might change over time.

Using a special X-ray technique, the scientists analyzed the surface of freshly prepared metal fillings and compared these with the surface of aged fillings (about 20 years old) from a dental clinic. Fresh fillings contained metallic mercury, which can be toxic.

Aged fillings, however, typically contain a form of mercury, called beta-mercuric sulfide or metacinnabar, which is unlikely to be toxic in the body.

The researchers found that the surfaces of metal fillings seem to lose up to 95 percent of their mercury over time. Loss of potentially toxic mercury from amalgam may be due to evaporation, exposure to some kinds of dental hygiene products, exposure to certain foods, or other factors.

The scientists, however, warned that “human exposure to mercury lost from fillings is still of concern.”

The study appears online in American Chemical Society journal Chemical Research in Toxicology. (ANI)

Filed under: Health

will not be displayed